How To Unlock TracFone Samsung Phones? TracFone is one of the most well-known prepaid phone service providers in the United States. Because they operate on all three major networks, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, their coverage is extremely good and reliable.
They also have a diverse selection of phones, ranging from entry-level to cutting-edge top-of-the-line models. Because Samsung phones are the most popular choice among TracFone users these days, we decided to create this special article that will teach you everything you need to know about unlocking TracFone Samsung phones.
So, if you have a TracFone Samsung phone and want to use it with other SIM cards, you should read this article carefully because it will tell you everything you need to know to make the transition as easy as possible. Are you ready to learn how to unlock TracFone Samsung phones? Let’s get started.
ARE SAMSUNG TRACFONE PHONES UNLOCKED?
As the title implies, this article will focus on how to unlock TracFone Samsung phones, which wouldn’t make sense if TracFone phones came unlocked. With that said, we must inform you that all TracFone phones are network-locked.
However, a so-called ‘Unlocking Policy’ has been in place since 2016 (FCC ruling (details below)), which means that all TracFone devices, including Samsung phones, can be unlocked by the carrier. This procedure is known as a ‘carrier unlock,’ and it is available to all TracFone customers who have an unlock-eligible device.
Continue reading to learn more about TracFone’s unlocking policy and step-by-step instructions for unlocking TracFone Samsung phones.
FCC RULING DETAILS
Since 2016, all carriers have been permitted to provide their customers with only an unlockable device (a device that can be unlocked and used with other wireless providers). If the device cannot be unlocked, the customer is entitled to compensation (if all other conditions are meet).
The following are the most important points of the FFC ruling:
- After one year, a carrier must offer to unlock handsets.
- A carrier must provide the option to unlock all previously purchased phones.
- For exchanging non-unlockable cell phones, the carrier must provide credit or a refund.
- For older models, a carrier must provide partial cash refunds.
HOW TO KNOW IF MY TRACFONE SAMSUNG IS LOCKED?
Because all TracFone phones come locked, you can be certain that your TracFone Samsung is locked unless you have requested that it be unlocked.
Furthermore, you can always contact TracFone’s customer service to inquire about the condition of your phone. They can be reached at 1-800-867-7183. Their customer service centers are open from 8 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. (EST) seven days a week.
Alternative Video: How To Unlock TracFone Cell Phones?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- How To Unlock a MetroPCS Phone? (Easy Steps!)
- What Are The Best US Cellular Compatible Phone? See More
- How To Unlock Boost Mobile Phone? (Easy Guide!)
WHAT SHOULD I PREPARE BEFORE UNLOCKING SAMSUNG TRACFONES?
You must prepare your phone’s IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number before unlocking Samsung TracFones, especially if you intend to use a third party’s unlocking services.
The IMEI number of your device can be found in the phone’s menu or physically within the battery compartment (for models that enable you to open them). You can also find the phone’s IMEI number on the original packaging. Keep in mind that IMEI is frequently abbreviated as MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier).
You can also get your IMEI by dialing *#06# on your phone. However, if you want to use your carrier unlock service, all you need is TracFone customer service’s phone number (of course, assuming that you have already confirmed that your device is eligible for the carrier to unlock).
Make sure to call during their business hours (as listed in the previous section). You will also need another carrier’s SIM card to complete the unlocking process. When you use your TracFone Samsung phone with another carrier, you are prompted to enter the unlocking code.
REQUIREMENTS FOR UNLOCKING A SAMSUNG TRACFONES DEVICE
To unlock Tracfone Samsung devices, you must first fulfill a number of requirements. TracFone has a comprehensive Unlocking Policy in place, which is available on their website. To access it, go to their official website, scroll down to the footer, and click on the second item in the footer menu, ‘UNLOCKING POLICY.’
The following are the requirements outlined in TracFone’s unlocking policy:
- Customers must request that their handsets be unlocked.
- Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for at least 12 months, redeemed air time cards for at least 12 months, and not had their phone number recycled or ported in the previous 12 months.
- Customers must, as a result, request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days after their active service days expire. This grace period of 60 days applies even if the customer’s phone number was recycled or ported.
- Customers must currently own a TracFone-branded handset model that was launched on TracFone’s service after February 11, 2014, or that was activated with TracFone’s service after February 11, 2015.
- Customers must have a fully functional handset.
- Customers must therefore have a handset that has not been reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
- Customers can unlock their accounts only once every twelve months.
SPECIAL MILITARY PERSONNEL UNLOCKING POLICY:
- If a customer requesting handset unlocking is deployed military personnel, TracFone will honor that customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund for the Trade-in Value of the used, locked phone returned by the customer, regardless of the 12 months of service activation or air card redemption eligibility requirements.
- TracFone customers who are deployed military personnel are subject to all other eligibility criteria.
HOW TO UNLOCK TRACFONE SAMSUNG CELL PHONES?
There are several methods for unlocking TracFone Samsung phones or any other phone. We will not discuss methods that produce poor results and can cause problems because they are numerous. We will only concentrate on methods that are legal and produce excellent results.
In general, there are two best ways to unlock a Samsung TracFone: directly through TracFone (aka carrier unlock) or through one of the reputable third-party unlocking services (we will cover some of them below).
TracFone Samsung Carrier Unlock
- If you want to use the TracFone official option to unlock your TracFone Samsung, you must follow the steps outlined in this section.
- Check to see if you are eligible for the unlocking. Examine the section titled ‘Requirements for Unlocking a Samsung TracFones Device.’ You can also go to tfwunlockpolicy.com and enter your phone number or serial number at the bottom of the page to see if you’re eligible. You can also check your eligibility by calling TracFone’s customer service.
- Obtaining your unlock code after you’ve determined that your device is eligible for unlocking, you’ll need to obtain an unlock code. To do so, call TracFone customer service at 1-800-867-7183 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11:45 p.m. EST every day. When you get on the phone, tell them you’re calling to get an unlock code for your phone. The code will be dictated to you (so prepare a pen and paper) or sent to your email address.
- Get a SIM card from another carrier. Unlocking your phone serves no purpose unless you intend to use a SIM card from another carrier. As a result, when you insert another carrier’s SIM card into your device, you will be prompted to enter the unlocking code. Nowadays, you can purchase any SIM card online (you often get it for free with plans).
- Change the SIM cards. Make sure your phone is turned off first. Then, remove the TracFone SIM card and insert a SIM card from another carrier. Use the correct SIM card adaptor size for your phone’s SIM card slot. After you’ve changed the SIM cards, restart your device. Make sure to enter the PIN for your new SIM card.
- The code is being entered. Following the entry of the PIN code, you will be prompted to enter the unlocking code provided by the TracFone representative. Enter the code and click ‘OK.’ Keep an eye out for the confirmation message. If the code was accepted, you should receive a confirmation message.
- Take advantage of using your phone with other carriers.
USING THIRD-PARTY SERVICES TO UNLOCK TRACFONE SAMSUNG
Because the carrier unlocking option has some limitations, you may want to look into third-party unlocking options. If this is the case, you should pay close attention to this section. We will cover some of the most reputable unlocking service providers in this article; however, feel free to choose any provider you want, but do your own research first to avoid potential scams.
All reputable unlocking service providers operate in the same way. You typically go to their official website, select your phone model (and, in some cases, the carrier to which your phone is locked), enter your phone’s IMEI number, pay, and receive the unlocking code in return.
So, these are the general step to take when using third-party unlocking services:
- Visit the official website of the unlocking service provider.
- Enter/select your phone model.
- Enter your phone’s IMEI number.
- Complete the online payment.
- Receive the unlocking code. Typically delivered via email.
- Follow steps #3-#6 from the previous section.
Some Of The Most Reputable Third-Party Unlocking Providers
- AT&T Unlock Codes
- Canada Unlocking
- Online Unlocks
- Bonus (free unlocking): Unlocky.org
Some of the above unlocking providers have designated pages for unlocking specific TracFone Samsung phone models.
- DirectUnlocks, for example, has a page dedicated to Samsung S7 unlocking (directunlocks.com). Once on the page, you choose which network the Samsung S7 is locked to, enter your phone’s IMEI number, and then click the ‘Unlock your TracFone Samsung S7’ button to begin the process.
- AT&T Unlock Codes is another example. It provides a dedicated page for unlocking the Samsung Galaxy A10e (attunlockcodes.com). Once on the page, simply enter your phone’s IMEI and contact information. Then, to complete the purchase, click the ‘Add to cart’ button.
- The final example we’ll look at in depth is Online Unlocks. They have a dedicated webpage for unlocking the Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro (onlineunlocks.com). To complete the purchase, simply enter your phone’s IMEI number and click the ‘ADD TO CART’ button once on the page.
FAQs Unlock Samsung TracFone Phones
Can a Samsung TracFone be unlocked?
Tracfone is well-known for not allowing their phones to be unlocked; however, due to FCC rules and a ruling against Tracfone, they are required to unlock phones purchased after a certain date, offer a credit toward an exchange, or offer a partial cash refund for older devices.
Is it possible to unlock TracFone phones?
The majority of TracFone handsets are locked to TracFone service and cannot be technically unlocked. TracFone and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reached an agreement on handset unlocking in 2015.
Can I unlock my phone myself?
How do I get my phone unlocked? Inserting a SIM card from another network into your phone will confirm whether or not your phone requires unlocking. If it’s locked, you’ll see a message on your home screen. The simplest way to unlock your device is to contact your service provider and request a Network Unlock Code (NUC).