Total Wireless is a subsidiary of TracFone, a massive prepaid, no-contract mobile phone provider. Total Wireless is a wireless service provider as well as a mobile virtual network operator that operates on the Verizon network.
The provider provides a good selection of high-quality mobile devices from popular brands, as well as affordable service plans, international calling, cloud service, and a ‘bring your own phone’ program that allows customers to bring their current device to Total Wireless.
If you already have Total Wireless service and want to transfer it to a new BYOP or original Total Wireless upgrade device, simply keep reading because the following chapters will tell you everything you need to know.
HOW DO I TRANSFER MY TOTAL WIRELESS SERVICE TO A NEW PHONE?
When it comes to transferring your current Total Wireless service to a new Total Wireless phone, Total Wireless is one of the best wireless service providers.
Because technology evolves so quickly nowadays, and the phone you bought last year may appear completely outdated in comparison to the manufacturer’s latest model, Total Wireless expects customers to upgrade their devices on a regular basis, making the service transfer as simple as possible.
When you get a new device (you can either buy it from Total Wireless or bring your own new phone from another provider), you must also get a new Total Wireless SIM card. Simply insert your Total Wireless SIM card into your new phone once you’ve obtained both.
If your phone automatically connects to the Total Wireless network and you can make calls, send text messages, and use data, you’re good to go. If you are unable to do so, you may be required to activate your new device. Totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice allows you to do so.
You can also call Total Wireless customer service at 1-866-663-3633 and request that your new phone be switched to the new SIM card. Total Wireless allows customers to transfer their content in addition to their service.
The service provider provides a Transfer Wizard – an app that allows customers to easily transfer their personal data from an old phone to a new one. The app is free, there is no need for an account, and your data and content are not sent to the cloud.
It is intended to transfer contacts, messages, pictures, videos, music, and other data between phones as if by magic. All you’ll need is a Wi-Fi connection and a few minutes of your time to complete the transfer. The app allows you to transfer content between most Android and Apple iOS devices, and it works on both operating systems.
To transfer all your content and service from one phone to another, simply follow the steps below.
- Download the Transfer Wizard app to both your old and new phones.
- Connect to Wi-Fi and wirelessly connect the two devices.
- Choose what exactly it is you wish to transfer.
- Finally, enjoy your new phone with all your existing content.
WHAT PHONES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH TOTAL WIRELESS SIM CARD?
Total Wireless offers two options to their customers: one is to purchase one of their phones, or two is to bring your existing phone and use it with their services (the ‘Keep Your Own Phone’ option). Having said that, a wide variety of phones can be used with a Total Wireless SIM card.
The following phones are currently available at the Total Wireless online store:
- iPhone SE
- Samsung Galaxy A10e
- Samsung Galaxy A50
- Samsung Galaxy A20
- iPhone XS
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12
- iPhone XR
- LG Solo LTE
- LG Journey LTE
- Motorola Moto G Power
- Samsung Galaxy A21
- Samsung Galaxy J2
- Motorola Moto G7 Optimo Maxx
- Samsung Galaxy A01
- Samsung Galaxy A11
- Motorola Moto E7
- iPhone XS Max
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
- Blu View 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note10
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G
Aside from the phones listed above, you may use any other phone that is compatible with Total Wireless service (check compatibility) (more on that in one of the following sections). In general, any CDMA unlocked device should work with Total Wireless.
Unlocked GSM phones may be suitable, however, since CDMA and GSM became interoperable with the introduction of LTE technology in 2015. As a result, make sure to check compatibility.
Alternative Video: Transfer My Total Wireless Service To A New Phone
- What Are Best Unlimited Prepaid Internet For Home? Read More
- How Does Straight Talk Phone Payment Plan Work? (Explained)
- How Do I Switch MetroPCS Phone Service To Another Phone? See Here
CAN I TRANSFER MY TOTAL WIRELESS NUMBER TO ANOTHER PHONE?
When switching to a new carrier or wireless service provider, most people prefer to keep their old phone number. Total Wireless respects this popular request and does everything possible to make the phone number transfer and overall transition as simple as possible.
Simply follow the three simple steps below to transfer your Total Wireless number to another phone.
- Choose your device. You have two options when it comes to selecting your Total Wireless device. You can either buy a new phone from Total Wireless (you can see their selection of the most popular and latest Android and iOS smartphones at shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/phones) or bring your own compatible or unlocked CDMA phone, purchase an Activation Kit, and a 30-day service plan. In either case, you can keep your current phone number.
- Choose your strategy. Total Wireless provides a wide range of flexible and reasonably priced plans. They provide both single-line plans (the most affordable single-line plan includes unlimited talk and text and costs $23.70 per month with auto-refill) and family plans (the most popular family plan includes 25 GB of shared data for up to four lines and costs $95 per month with auto-refill). Furthermore, Total Wireless provides a variety of payment options, so you will almost certainly be able to find a plan and payment option that fits your budget and needs. Because Total Wireless plans have no contracts, you can change both your payment and your plan at any time.
- Make the transfer. Once you have done all of the above, make sure to activate your device. Visit totalwireless.com/activation/selectdevice and select the type of product you would like to activate (Total Wireless phone, BYOP device, or Total Wireless hotspot).
HOW DO I SWITCH MY TOTAL WIRELESS SIM CARD TO ANOTHER PHONE?
When you switch phones, you must purchase a new Total Wireless SIM card. You can activate it online (at totalwireless.com/activation/compatiblesim?carrier=TMO or shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/byop/tw-byop-tri-punch-sim-pack-cdma) or in-store. If you decide to buy the SIM card online, it will be mailed to you.
When you do, call Total Wireless customer service at 1-866-663-3633 and request that your new phone be switched to the new SIM card.
Turn off your new phone and carefully insert the new SIM card into it to physically switch your SIM card. Close the SIM card slot and power on the device. That’s all!
DO I NEED TO BACK UP MY PHONE BEFORE SWITCHING SIM?
Switching SIM cards may result in reactivation, but it should not erase any data from your phone. Nonetheless, just to be safe, we recommend that you backup your phone before switching SIM cards. Your phone most likely already performs automatic backups; however, this time, take a few minutes to do it manually.
The backup procedure is determined by the model of your phone. Your best bet is to launch your web browser and type in »how to back up + your phone model«. You will undoubtedly find a plethora of informative results and articles.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY PHONE IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE TOTAL WIRELESS SIM CARD?
As previously stated, Total Wireless has a ‘Keep Your Own Phone’ program that allows you to use your existing phone (or a new one purchased elsewhere) with their services. However, it is critical that you check compatibility ahead of time.
To do so, go to the Total Wireless official website. Hover over the’shop’ option in the main menu bar, then select the ‘buy SIM card/BYOP’ option from the drop-down menu. Scroll down until you see the ‘check compatibility’ button on the next page.
Simply click on it. You will then see a pop-up message (terms & conditions). To continue, select the ‘I accept’ option. Then, following the instructions, enter your device’s IMEI number in the appropriate box.
Then click the next button. You will receive a message confirming that your phone is compatible. If not, a message will appear informing you that your phone is incompatible.
DOES TOTAL WIRELESS OFFER SIM CARD UNLOCK?
All Total Wireless phones (t.i. phones purchased from Total Wireless or Total Wireless’ official resellers) are network-locked, which means they can only be used with Total Wireless SIM cards. They do, however, have a strict unlocking policy in place that allows users to unlock their devices after certain conditions are met.
Keep in mind that Total Wireless is a TracFone subsidiary, so they have the same unlocking policy. The following are the most important aspects of the unlocking policy:
- Customers must request that their handsets be unlocked.
- Customers must have had their locked device activated on Total Wireless service for at least 12 months, redeemed air time cards for at least 12 months, and not had their phone number recycled or ported in the previous 12 months.
- Customers must request this interim unlocking solution while their service is active or within 60 days of the expiration of their active service days. This grace period of 60 days applies even if the customer’s phone number was recycled or ported.
- Customers must currently own a Total Wireless branded handset model that was launched on Total Wireless’ service after February 11, 2014, or that was activated with Total Wireless’ service after February 11, 2015.
- Customers must have a fully functional handset.
- Customers must have a handset that has not been reported stolen, lost, or linked to fraudulent activity.
- If a customer requesting handset unlocking is deployed military personnel, Total Wireless will honor that customer’s unlocking request by sending a refund for the Trade-in Value of the used, locked phone returned by the customer, regardless of the 12 months of service activation or air card redemption eligibility requirements. Total Wireless customers who are deployed military personnel, on the other hand, meet all other eligibility criteria.
- Customers can only participate in this program once every twelve months.
- To find out if your phone is unlockable, go to the Total Wireless official website, scroll to the footer menu, and select the ‘unlocking policy’ option.
Once on the next page, scroll down to find two fields: one for entering a phone number and one for entering the serial number of your phone. Only one of the two possibilities is required. After entering your phone number or the serial number of your device, check the ‘I’m not a robot’ box and click the ‘Verify Eligibility’ button.
If you have any questions or require additional assistance, please contact their Unlocking Department at 1-888-442-5102.
HOW DO I ACTIVATE MY TOTAL WIRELESS NEW SIM CARD?
The activation process is very simple and it can be done online. Once you have your Total Wireless SIM card kit, make sure to insert the SIM card into your phone (either Total Wireless phone or your existing device (if compatible).
Then, go to the Total Wireless website, hover over the ‘activate’ option in the top menu bar, and select ‘activate’ from the drop-down menu.
When you get to the next page, you’ll be able to select between the ‘total wireless phone’ and the ‘bring your own device’ options. Click the ‘continue’ button next to the option that applies to you. Then simply follow the instructions on the next page, where you will be asked to enter your activation number. Finish the process and enjoy your Total Wireless services.
HOW DO I DEACTIVATE MY TOTAL WIRELESS SIM CARD?
If you want to deactivate your Total Wireless SIM card, you must contact Total Wireless customer service. You can deactivate your SIM card by using their online chat, which is available on their Contact page (https://www.totalwireless.com/contactus) from 8AM – 11:45PM (EST), 7 days a week, or by calling them at 1-866-663-3633 (Call Center Hours: 8AM – 11:45PM (EST); 7 days a week).
HOW DOES TOTAL WIRELESS SIM SWAP WORK?
SIM card swap can refer to either a physical transfer from one phone to another (discussed in the previous section) or to the transfer of user services from one SIM card to another, which means that your existing phone number is then assigned to a new SIM card.
If you lose or have your phone stolen and decide to stay with Total Wireless, you will be switching to a new Total Wireless SIM card. Your phone number will be assigned to the new SIM card, and your old SIM card will be deactivated.
SIM card swapping can also be done by different wireless providers. In that case, the process of porting in the number (port-in) must occur.
HOW DO I SWITCH TO TOTAL WIRELESS WITH BYOP?
Total Wireless, as previously stated, has a “bring your own phone” (BYOP) program that allows customers to bring their old device to Total Wireless. The process of switching your phone to Total Wireless is simple; you keep your number and gain access to Verizon’s dependable 4G LTE nationwide network. However, the BYOP process does have some requirements.
The phone you bought from another retailer, carrier, or wireless service provider will only work on Total Wireless if it is compatible with Total Wireless services and network or is an unlocked CDMA phone.
Total Wireless is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that uses Verizon’s network and services. Total Wireless supports CDMA technology, network, and devices because Verizon is a CDMA carrier. As a result, the device you already own and intend to bring to Total Wireless must be CDMA.
Furthermore, due to the fact that many carriers lock the phones they sell to their services, you may be required to unlock the device before bringing it to Total Wireless. To do so, contact your previous provider and request that they unlock your phone. They will mostly do so if the phone has been paid in full, the device is no longer under contract, and the device hasn’t been reported stolen, lost, or otherwise marked ineligible for unlocking.
FAQs on Transfer My Total Wireless Service
Can I put my old SIM card in my new phone Total Wireless?
Can I re-use a Total Wireless SIM Card that has previously been used on another phone or number? No, you can only use your Total Wireless SIM Card on one phone and one number. If you change phone numbers or numbers, you must purchase a NEW Total Wireless SIM Card.
Is it possible to keep your current phone number with Total Wireless?
You can keep your original phone number regardless of whether you BYOP or purchase a new phone. The only significant difference is switching to a better network and obtaining the best wireless deals. You can keep your original phone number regardless of which option you select.
Can you put an AT&T SIM card in a Total Wireless phone?
If your Total Wireless phone has been unlocked, it should be compatible with AT&T. Most of the most recent handsets are compatible, but you should double-check your phone’s compatibility with the carrier before purchasing.