Face it: your Android phone is your portal to the rest of the world. It makes staying in touch with friends and family quicker and easier. However, as much as you appreciate the ability to connect with people and contact them when necessary, there are times when such a connection is unnecessary.
That is why you should consider blocking a phone number to prevent them from calling or texting you. We don’t like everyone who can call us on our cell phones.
If you’re like me, you’re probably picturing scammers, cold-calling sales executives, or your annoying high school flame. Requesting that they stay away from you is ineffective because it never works. But how do you block a phone number on Android?
HOW TO BLOCK A PHONE NUMBER ON ANDROID?
We must become more practical in this regard. How do you prevent unsolicited messages and phone calls from reaching you? The majority of Android phones have a built-in feature that allows you to block specific phone numbers.
However, the procedure varies from phone to phone. We can paint a general picture of the process for most popular devices without getting into the specifics of blocking calls on every single phone on the market.
1. Stock Android
Certain phones run stock Android, or Google’s vanilla Android. There are two ways for anyone to block phone numbers on devices running this version of Android.
- The first method is to access your recent calls by opening the Phone app on your Android smartphone. A long press on any of those numbers will bring up a menu where you can select “Block Number.”
- In the second method, you’ll still open the Phone app, but this time you’ll tap on the three-dot menu in the top-right corner. Choose “Settings” and then “Call blocking” to add the phone numbers you want to block.
2. The Carriers Who Understand You
The Stock Android method is based on the assumption that you will not be switching phones. In the real world, however, anything is possible. This is why you should think about blocking a number more systemically. Your phone company may be able to assist you in blocking a phone number.
The four major US carriers, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, all offer a service that allows you to block specific phone numbers. All you need to know are the carrier’s terms and conditions.
3. The Samsung Galaxy Way
Samsung continues to be the market leader in the smartphone industry. There’s a good chance you’re reading this on a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
The blocking of phone numbers on Samsung Galaxy phones is handled in an ingenious manner. It’s a straightforward four-step procedure:
- Launch the Phone app.
- Tap “More” after selecting the number you want to block.
- Tap “Add to Auto-Reject List” to add it to the blacklist.
- To unblock a number or make additional changes, go to Settings > Call Settings > All Calls > Auto Reject.
Alternative Video: What Happens When You Block a Number on Your Android Phone?
- View Here: What Towers Does Boost Mobile Use?
- What Towers Does Mint Mobile Use? See More
- How To Unlock Straight Talk iPhone? (4 Easy Method To Try)
4. Blocking A Number From Calling You
Open the Phone app: A phone app is available on almost all Android phones. This app functions as a contact book, allowing you to save your contacts. So, when you add a new phone number, it is almost certain that it will be saved in the phonebook.
It also provides numbers and dialing options in various screens of the phone app. Tap the three dots in the app to access various functionality options in the phone app. Under this option, tap settings; you’ll see a number of options. The settings may differ depending on the Android phone you’re using. However, the majority of them are more of the same.
Tap block a number: This option allows you to enter the phone number you don’t want to be contacted by. Other Android phones have options where you can choose from the phonebook. If your phone does not have this option, you can manually enter the number.
Done: Once you’ve entered the number, finish the process by pressing done. This means that the contact will be unable to reach you via phone unless they use a different caller ID.
5. Blocking A Number From Texting You
Unlike blocking a number from calling you, blocking a number from texting you on an Android phone is quite simple. Here’s how it works:
- Launch the Messages app on your Android device.
- Find the text message or your conversation with the person.
- Return to the conversation you had with the contact.
- Locate the three dots on the chat according to the User Interface (UI). Instead of the three dots, other Android phones will have’more’ options.
- Choose the Block number option.
When you complete this process, the contact will no longer be able to send you text messages. Always check the location of the blocking option on your phone.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU BLOCK A NUMBER?
When you block a phone number, the caller can no longer reach you. You no longer receive their phone calls. You, too, are not receiving their messages. But one thing is certain: you will regain your peace of mind.
So, what happens when you block a phone number? To begin, keep in mind that even after you have blocked a phone number, you can still call it as if nothing has happened.
You can also use the number to send text messages. They will, however, receive your text messages but will be unable to respond.
To be clear, calls ring once and go to Voicemail, whereas texts are routed to a “blocked senders” directory. As a result, it’s not a “block” in the traditional sense. Instead, it’s more of a “re-routing,” but the blocked party receives no notice that they are being blocked.
Because the block is one-way, you can initiate communication from your end while the phone number you’ve blocked cannot. However, if you don’t mind resuming regular communications with a phone number you previously blocked, you can unblock it.
WHEN YOU BLOCK SOMEONE DO THEY KNOW?
No one will be able to tell whether you have blocked them or not. Google adheres to everyone’s privacy policies. As a result, if you block them either on-call or via message, they will be unaware.
When they send you a message, they include a delivery note with their phone number. They’ll never tell if you’re not getting the messages. Additionally, during the call, it will be routed to voicemail.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE HAS BLOCKED YOUR NUMBER ON ANDROID?
There are several methods for determining whether or not someone has blocked your phone number. This applies to both the on-call and text-messaging options. Both options will be discussed in this section.
HOW TO KNOW WHEN SOMEONE BLOCKS YOUR CALLS?
Here are some simple steps you can take to find out.
- Check the phone number to see if your call is routed to voicemail. When this happens, there’s a good chance that if the person you’re calling isn’t already on the phone, they’ve blocked you.
- You can find and hide your caller ID. When you make a phone call, this is not detected. So, after you’ve hidden your caller ID, make a call; if it goes through, the person you’re calling has blocked you.
- If you call and your call is routed to voicemail, dial another number. When the phone call is completed, it is clear that the user blocked the number.
HOW TO KNOW WHEN SOMEONE BLOCKS YOUR TEXT SMS?
- The method for detecting a blocked SMS is simply not receiving delivery. In addition, in some other Android phone models, you will be notified with a delivery note.
- In addition, if you want to know when someone blocks you, hide the caller ID and compose a message with a different caller ID. When you receive a delivery note, you know who blocked you.
CAN YOU CALL OR SEND A TEXT TO SOMEONE WHO BLOCKED YOU?
You can call or text someone who has blocked you, but they will never receive your call or message. When you call someone who has blocked you, you are routed to voicemail. This means that when you call them, they will not receive the call.
Similarly, if you send a text message, they will not receive it. However, some phones will display a delivery note even if the package does not arrive at its destination.
You can also use other methods to mask your caller ID and call or text the number that has blocked you. If you are unable to do so, the simplest way to communicate is to dial another number.
CAN YOU SEE BLOCKED MESSAGES OR CALLS ON ANDROID?
Have you ever wondered if you can see the information of the contacts when you block them? The answer is, of course, yes. On Android phones, you can use Dr. Web Security Space to view a list of calls and SMS messages.
It allows you to see blocked phone calls and text messages. Tap Call and SMS Filter on the main screen to access the blocked call or SMS. Select Blocked calls or Blocked SMS depending on what you want to access; the information you want to access is in the status bar.
CAN YOU TEXT WITHOUT SHOWING YOUR NUMBER?
No, when you text, your phone number is still displayed to the person you texted. However, there is a special app that can be used to prevent the number from being displayed to others. This is only for Android users.
You have an advantage if you own an iPhone. This is due to the fact that the iPhone allows you to turn off your caller ID. This feature allows you to hide your phone number when texting or calling.
So, now you know everything there is to know about blocking numbers in Android phones. As previously stated, the location of the blocking feature may differ between phone models.
Furthermore, the fact that Android OS has a blocking feature demonstrates how much power it gives its users. So, among many other features available on Android phones, this is one of the most important. Now it’s up to you to decide why and when you should use this feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does someone know when you block them on Android?
The blocked number will never be notified that it has been blocked. That’s because Google values your privacy and will never inform a person that you’ve blocked them.
Can you check to see if a blocked number has attempted to contact you?
If you don’t have voicemail, you will still be able to see if a blocked number is contacting you because it will appear in your recent calls, according to my knowledge (because it has happened to me). Because if a blocked person calls you, your phone will still ring, but only once.
How long does a number stay blocked?
I believe it is safe to say that if you block a number, it will remain blocked indefinitely unless you remove the blocking. Depending on how you have your contacts set up and how they are transferred to a new phone, this blocking may be transferred to a new phone.